Seeking Design Engineering for Networked Geothermal Expansion in Framingham
In April 2023, a community coalition led by HEET and including the City of Framingham and Eversource Gas was awarded a Community Geothermal grant by the DOE’s Geothermal Technologies Office. This funding will be used to design an expansion of the networked geothermal system Eversource is installing in Framingham, MA. Eversource will soon be releasing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the design of this expansion project.
HEET encourages all qualified geothermal engineering and design firms to submit proposals for this exciting project, which has the potential to help to shape the future of utility-scale networked geothermal. Completed designs will be submitted to the DOE next summer in order to request funding for installation.
The selected firm(s) will work with HEET, the City of Framingham, and Eversource Gas to design a second geothermal network loop, in a city block adjacent to the first. Innovative aspects of this project include (1) extensive monitoring of system elements for research purposes, and (2) the potential to test a utility growth model by integrating this geothermal network and new customers with the system already being installed in Framingham. Applicants will have access to design and evaluation data from the first project.
Eversource Gas will post the RFP on ARIBA, their procurement platform, in the coming weeks. HEET is available to provide assistance with this platform—please don’t hesitate to contact Asha Nigh, Director of Grants and Research, or Rachel Wheeler, Executive Assistant and Logistics Director.
- September 2023: Eversource Gas will post the RFP on their procurement platform, ARIBA. The RFP will provide detailed instructions, submission requirements, evaluation criteria, and project details. HEET and Eversource are providing assistance with the ARIBA platform—please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of the contacts above.
- October 2023: Proposals due to Eversource Gas
- October 2023: Review of applications and selection of design firm(s)
- Fall 2023: Work on the project will begin
- Summer 2024: All design work must be completed
We look forward to working with you on this groundbreaking expansion of the first gas utility-led geothermal network in the nation.